Corporate Sustainability and Natural Resources (CORSUS)
The course provides a general introduction to the field of Environmental Economics and Management with emphasis in the relationship between Sustainable Development and Economics and examines the ways in which companies engage in environmental management, the role of stakeholders in the development of the corporate environmental strategy, and the links developed between financially drawn managerial decisions and the measurement and evaluation of the impact of these decisions on the environment.
Aim of the course
To investigate the existence, causality, and intensity of correlation between business sustainability, stakeholder management, natural resource consumption, and long-term financial impacts.
CORSUS Learning Objectives
Having completed the course, the student is expected to:
- Use a computer based system for this cooperation effectively and efficiently
- Cooperate with students from different cultural and disciplinary backgrounds and identify the best practices for each case
- Apply theory to real life-problems and situation
- Evaluate, compare and synthesise alternative ideas in current academic literature.
- Manage simultaneously and effectively both the corporate financial and ecological performance
- Implement and optimize environmental management programs
- Understand social, ethical and environmental issues and their influence on corporate governance, company viability, profitability, and consequent management decision-making
- Identify the stakeholders involved in each occasion
- Critically appreciate the factors that influence these impacts
- Anticipate the impact of business decisions on the financial status and the natural resource base of corporations.
- Implement and ‘operationalize’ the SD concept as practiced in the various departments of a company
- Understand the basic concepts of sustainable development and critically evaluate the arguments for and against business sustainability
Topics studied in the course
- Economics and Sustainable Development
- Economic Instruments of Environmental Policy
- Free Trade and the Environment
- Greening the Organization/Corporation
- Environmental Policy - Environmental Management Systems
- Environmental Accounting - Reporting
- Corporate Social Responsibility - Stakeholder Management
- Sustainable Resource-based Theories of the Firm
1 October - 20 December 2010
By 30 September 2010
Download CORSUS Presentation.
© 2007 Copyright VCSE PROJECT, All rights reserved | Realisation Mindrefresher.NET